07 October 2012

I Has A Tablet! And a Comic!

Hip-deep in Fall semester, and I'm taking two studio classes right now. Graphic Design Survey is extremely interesting and helpful, even if it's not entirely my "thing"; learning how to use InDesign and Illustrator alone is way useful, and I'm fascinated by the little stuff what I guess you could call Graphic Design Culture (tm).

I don't nerd out over fonts, but I think it's awesome that there are people who do. It's all about passion, and as a geek I absolutely respect people being passionate about stuff that the majority of the population don't even think about.

Plus, my prof is a hoopy frood with the most awesome tiny circle glasses ever.



I'm also taking Digital Painting, which finally got me to get over my fears and get a graphics tablet, a nice Wacom Intuos5. The instructor for this class is a grad student who's spent about a decade or so doing art professional (lots of video game credits), so to say he knows what he's doing is kind of an understatement. Dude is kind of intense, but I've learned a ton of good stuff, and I really feel like I'm upping my game.

For some reason, my self-portraits always turn out vaguely sinister. I guess I'm just not pleasant-looking when I don't smile.


In addition to classwork, I'm still doing cartoon illos for the school paper, and fortunately for me there are two other artists on staff, so I don't have an assignment twice a week like last semester. More importantly, I'm actually doing a weekly comic strip for said paper!

Currently, the place to read "Roomhates" is on deviantART, although I'm experimenting with a couple of webcomic hosting sites as well. (I'm also thinking that a Tumblr mirror in addition wouldn't be a bad idea, either.) I'd like the strip to have its own site at some point... maybe even work myself to updating more than just once a week. (Like, TWICE a week! GASP.)

Also, I splurged and got a new moleskine sketchbook. Are moleskine sketchbooks necessary? Heck no. But they sure are sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment